Friday, December 4, 2009

The Gift of other Writers/Artists

Lost a day – I planned to post yesterday.
I meant to write but important to mundane things circumvented my course, my drive.
It’s now the day after tomorrow and this passage of time may help illustrate my topic, Why networking and writers/artists are important.


The pattern:

As mentioned in a previous blog, I tend to be a loner and isolated.
I can entertain myself endlessly when I’m up or on a roll.
I have more interests than I can attend.
I get myopic, then full swing and I chastise myself for my silly pursuits and hobbies.
Sometimes I feel like I should apologize for these inclinations.
I do what’s before me to meet expectations and obligations, both real and self-imposed.
No matter how far I stray, eventually I come back to writing.
The problem is I lose my focus and my momentum.
Over the years writing has remained at the bottom of my list.
Until recently it was below doing the dishes and doing wash!
It is still below cooking dinner but happily that seems to be slipping this past year.

Recently I have come to know and interact with a few other writers and artists.
So far my reaction is – Wow! – have I ever been missing out!

Networking: A few important components:
There is an ongoing dialogue about writing.
Providing feedback on another writer or artist's work.
Feedback on your work.
Keeping directed on the goal with like focused individuals.

The gift of other writers/artists is important: What other writers know and give-
Yen and Yang –someone is hurting, doubting – someone else is there encouraging, celebrating that someone.
A belief in the same dream,
Understanding how it feels be thus afflicted.
Writers/artists don’t make you feel odd for being odd.
Writers/artists know when you need to be alone and when you don’t, no matter what you insist.
Writers/artists will tell you you’re getting too damn odd and snap out of it!
Writers/artists commiserate with you while you wait for the rejection and then get rejected.
Writers/artisits recognize the accomplishments even dinky ones.
Writers/artists celebrate the acceptance...being published. They know what it takes; they live it.


The obvious benefits for writers/artists who connect:

Growth
Brainstorming
It’s easier to find hope when you do not always solo.

I’ve been isolated for so long that I suspect my perceptions are slightly skewed.
I can’t accurately gauge where I stand on the weird meter.

However, without my writer/artist friends I would be stuck in that dark place I know too well, again immobilized.

2 comments:

  1. Feedback from and interaction with other writers has proven to be invaluable to me. One of the best things I've done as a writer was join a writer's group. It's so nice to have a built-in group of people who share your passion and are there to offer hope, encouragement and a shoulder to cry on. Next at the friends and connections I have made through Southern Magic and the RWA. Wow, I was blown away when I attended the RWA conference this summer and felt the energy from all those other writers! People that understood. People that are hungry and searching like me. People who've made it and can offer advice to those of us still struggling.

    And then there's you, Melissa, in a category all your own! What a rare and wonderful gift finding you at the RWA has been! I truly believe our new friendship was fated. Belief in the cosmos and purposeful, divine serendipity. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Jeanie, I was amazed at the energy at the conference – the shared vision. In such a competitive industry as writing, with so few writers being published, I expected a professional but polite distance. Happily, I was wrong. The camaraderie was inspiring.

    As to our meeting, I agree…Belief in the cosmos and purposeful, divine serendipity. It certainly seems fated in all the best ways. I hope this doesn’t sound overly dramatic, if it does, then so be it. Our friendship came at a critical point for me, it was and continues to be a turning point for me. Your words are perfect… a rare and wonderful gift for me too.
    Such is the beauty and necessity of writers networking...

    ReplyDelete